JOB - Mendel AG -Associate Curator/Extension Coordinator
Associate Curator/Extension Coordinator
Mendel Art Gallery
The Mendel Art Gallery is seeking an Associate Curator/Extension Coordinator. The Mendel is a major public art gallery located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, a growing city with a diverse artistic environment. The Mendel has received national recognition for its innovative integrated program of local, national, and international exhibitions and public programs.
You have an extensive background in the coordination of circulating exhibitions and are an experienced curator with a broad range of skills. In addition to superior organizational, visual, written and oral communication abilities, you have an in-depth knowledge of contemporary Canadian and international art, historical Canadian art, and experience in collections development. You are an innovative candidate who is able to initiate complex projects and engage with diverse communities and audiences, and able to manage multiple projects.
Working under the supervision of the Executive Director and the Chief Curator, the ideal candidate can strike a curatorial balance and provide artistic leadership and develop compelling, integrated programming that will engage the local community while seeking broader sources of artistic inspiration. You will be able to engage and foster the development of regional and national artists and initiate cooperative curatorial and publication ventures with peers across the country and internationally.
- Extensive experience in organizing exhibitions for tour
- Recent experience as a curator and five years of progressively responsible related experience
- A degree in fine arts (candidates with a Masterís degree will be given preference)
- Collections management experience
- Proven scholarly writing with demonstrated success
- Proven grant writing with demonstrated success
- Superior management and supervisory skills, with the ability to effectively collaborate with staff, artists, professional colleagues, patrons, and other key stakeholders
- Strong organizational abilities, effective administrative skills, and proficiency in a Microsoft Office environment
- Experience creating and executing documented plans linked to strategic objectives
Please note that this is an in-scope position with the City of Saskatoon. If you see a strong fit, please submit in strict confidence, your curriculum vitae along with examples of curatorial projects, publications, essays, and success in grant writing by mail on or before August 31, 2009. Note: applications by email will not be considered. Only those applicants selected for interview will be contacted.
Please address your application to:
Howard Janzen, Manager of Finance and OperationsMendel Art Gallery
950 Spadina Crescent East
P.O. Box 569
Canada, S7K 3L6
Tel: +1 (306) 975-7610
Fax: +1 (306) 975-7670
Please visit http://www.mendel.ca/wordpress/?p=486 to view the full job description.